The Grand Canyon is a colorful steep-sided gorge carved by the Colorado River in the U.S. state of Arizona. It is largely contained within the Grand Canyon National Park — one of the first national parks in the United States. President Theodore Roosevelt was a major proponent of preservation of the Grand Canyon area, and visited on numerous occasions to hunt and enjoy the scenery.
The canyon, created by the Colorado River over a period of 6 million years, is 277 miles (446 km) long, ranges in width from 4 to 18 miles (6.4 to 29 km) and attains a depth of more than a mile (1.6 km). Nearly two billion years of the Earth’s history have been exposed as the Colorado River and its tributaries cut their channels through layer after layer of rock while the Colorado Plateau was uplifted.
During prehistory, the area was inhabited by Native Americans who built settlements within the canyon and its many caves. The Pueblo people considered the Grand Canyon (“Ongtupqa” in Hopi language) a holy site and made pilgrimages to it.
The first European known to have viewed the Grand Canyon was García López de Cárdenas from Spain, who arrived in 1540.
The Grand Canyon was largely unexplored until after the U.S. Civil War. In 1869, Major John Wesley Powell, a one-armed Civil War veteran with a thirst for science and adventure, made the first recorded journey through the canyon on the Colorado River. He accomplished this trek with nine men in four small wooden boats, though only six men completed the journey. Powell referred to the sedimentary rock units exposed in the canyon as “leaves in a great story book”.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2 years ago / 24 notes
- learninghowtobend reblogged this from oxane
- ewebse reblogged this from oxane
- bitchlike93 reblogged this from oxane
- good-art-inspiration reblogged this from oxane
- miezaki likes this
- osohapkidoka reblogged this from oxane
- colloquialme likes this
- masbe11 reblogged this from oxane
- owls-nest likes this
- h-lfblackmagic reblogged this from oxane
- sceptique likes this
- eegrejyus reblogged this from oxane
- liam529 likes this
- kakkahxerez reblogged this from oxane
- awesomeandfancy said: And no words or photos can do justice to the experience of standing on the rim and seeing it with one’s own eyes.
- lijnegus likes this
- feed-well likes this
- morningchai likes this
- selfdestructiveyouth reblogged this from oxane
- p4norama reblogged this from oxane
- halfvodka reblogged this from oxane
- imaginaloinfinito reblogged this from oxane
- oxane posted this